The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, prohibiting the “manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes,” is ratified on this day in 1919 and becomes the law of the land.
Rockford Brewing Company was founded by Jonathan Peacock in 1849, under the name of Peacock Brewery. He built a brew house and bottling plant, the E. H. Peacock Bottling Works. The brewery would undergo many expansions over the years.
The company was passed down to his heirs and then sold in 1900 to John Petritz. After legal problems, the brewery was turned into a cold storage facility in 1918. Just in time to miss being closed down by the Prohibition.
When prohibition ended in 1933, Petritz's son re-established the brewery and then sold in 1937. The building housed several businesses thoughout the following years.
This historic building is now the Prairie Street Brewhouse, which hosts a brewery, restaurant and kitchen, and banquet facilities on the 1st floor and lower levels, commercial office space on the 2nd floor, and residential lofts on the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th floors. NIBCA member, Sjostrom & Sons, Inc. was the general contractor for the $12 million renovation in 2012.